I've been mentioning our fireplace makeover here on the blog and sharing glimpses of progress on instagram stories so I thought it was time I share some "real" pictures with you guys. Some things are better left to professionals (at least for us) and this might have been one of them. R and I had several "what the h*!! were we thinking" moments, I'm not gonna lie. But, it's finished now and we are both happy with the update, so yay.
Our old hearth was made of original terracotta tile. Mortar was missing in places so we either needed to repair it (which would probably never match the old mortar) or replace the surface (which I have been lobbying for for years). One afternoon R started ripping out the old tile and there was no turning back.
We did our best to create a level surface first with cement then with leveling compound. It wasn't fun, but was very necessary. And I'm an instant gratification girl so the wait in between stages was grueling.
We ordered this tile which shipped quickly and was exactly as described and in perfect condition. Getting the best layout was tricky at first, but we decided to lay out the sheets, snap a line, and back fill with individual pieces. We rented a wet saw which was a breeze to operate. I marked the tiles and R cut them.
After several weekends, we have a pretty, new hearth. It's not that the project took several weekends, but that we only had certain weekends to work on it with swim meets, life, etc. Grout is warm gray, by the way.
The mirror is a place holder until I find one I like and I still need to re-paint the inside of the fireplace with BBQ paint, but here it is. Finally.
Visit the "shop my house" tab at the top for links to items in this room.