This DIY project has been on my list of things to do for a while now. I have a couple of these gingham shirts that are super comfortable, but not very flattering. I remembered my pattern making class in college and thought it was at least worth a try. This shirt is from Old Navy so if I messed it up, it wasn't a big loss.
When you make patterns, you start by draping fabric over a bodice and begin pinning until the fit is right. So I turned my shirt inside out, buttoned it, and carefully began pinning. (Not as difficult as I thought it would be) I first pinned one side near the center (waist area), then pinned the other side in that same area using the pattern of the shirt as a guide. Then I pinned gradually tapering as I went up and down each side keeping that nice little flair at the bottom. At this point, I probably should have tried the shirt, but instead went ahead and ran it through the sewing machine. I did have to re-stitch the bottom portion a little, but overall was happy with the fit the first time. I ran a zig zag stitch beside the seam for re-inforcement.
This is the outcome. It is a little more form fitting, but not too much.
Here is the side by side comparison. Amazing what a difference a couple of carefully placed seams make! Now I want to alter a couple of other shirts.