I picked this lamp up last year at The Salvation Army with plans to change the color. Yesterday I finally whipped out the paint and picked up a new lamp shade. There have been thousands of lamp makeovers so I won't bore you with the teeny tiny details, but I will share a little something that helped. I used a paper plate to make a shield between to brass and porcelain.
Once I had the circle in place I secured it with tape and wrapped the cord and remaining base of the lamp in a plastic grocery bag.
The top was easy enough to tape.
Here are the paints I used. First I cleaned the lamp well with 409 to ensure that the surface was clean and that the paint would adhere. I applied one coat of primer and two coats of aqua.
I'm still working on filling the shelves with books. I ordered a stack of books a couple of weeks ago from Half Price Books. With books starting at $1 you can really stock up. The curtains in this room are coming down...again. The blue is just too much and I really want to go back to a clean natural linen look in here. I know, you don't have to say it ;).
I found the square shade at target which I adore! It has a really nice linen texture and looks even better in person. The old brass finial was one I had in a drawer and it totally adds the finishing touch.