If you have been following my blog for a while, then you might remember one week last summer when I painted the wood floors in our converted attic. I'm pretty sure this shocked several of you. As I said before, the floors had never been finished and were in bad shape. Painting them seemed easier and more economical at the time than having them refinished which we will do one day. I am happy to report that almost a year later, the floors have held up well and I am still happy with my decision.
The contrast of the black bed against the white floor and blue walls was just what the room needed.
I used muslin to make the duvet cover. Muslin is great for this type of project because it comes in various widths and can be used to make shower curtains and duvet covers easily. To add the ribbon detail, I used single fold bias tape in navy. I found the easiest way to get the right placement was to lay the cover on the bed and pin it. Then I ran it through the sewing machine to secure.
The curtains were made from a flat sheet, total cost $12.00. The lamp was already in the room, but I wanted to make it a little more interesting so I added the monogram and ribbon.
While denim isn't my first choice of fabrics when it comes to pillows, adding this red cross to an existing pillow made me like this one a little more. To make the cross, I used masking tape, a sponge applicator, and red fabric paint. It took less than 5 minutes.
The pillow cases on the bed co-ordinate with the flat sheet used to make the curtains. I wasn't about to stress over making pretty shams for this room when I know exactly where they would end up 99% of the time. Also, the other pillow cases are part of a flannel set from CSN that I recently reviewed. Let's just say they are perfect for those cool winter months. The trio of images came from here and here.
Here is the final room. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and so is our tween.